Yet another K-1II thread but from a selfish angle

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,317
Yet another K-1II thread but from a selfish angle

So I was at the Canadian International Auto Show today... The bad news is I lost or someone stole my Samyang 135mm F2.0, I can't say whether it dropped out of my bag when sitting down somewhere or getting in and out of a car or if someone slipped it out of my bags side pocket without me knowing. I probably shouldn't have taken it with me but hindsight sucks to think about! I got it on sale and it cost me some $586 CAD, to buy it now I looks like it would cost $727 CAD to replace. It still may turn up in the lost and found but its unlikely.

Now I come home to find out about the K-1II which I can upgrade for $690 CAD (about $780 after tax) The IQ may be better but I don't think we get a new shutter mechanism so the shutter count still climbs from where we left off. There is some suggestion that the AF algorithms have been improved and if so that may be a wonderful reason to upgrade.

Now despite truly loving the Samyang 135mm F2.0 and using it a lot in sports I can probably live without it for a while and just put up with my old Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX Pre-DG.

I'm on a substantial budget, I'm min-wage part time and have to resell used camera gear just to bring in cash at the end of the year. I have totally different priorities than average joes, no kids, no wife, no house to worry about but also not much money either. My camera sales have been down the last 2 years, and finding used stock for resellable prices is getting harder. I've been planning to go back to Iceland for 2 weeks this summer, This could run me $3-4K, Oh I could afford to buy the Samyang, and the upgrade and go on this trip as I don't have any debt bar another year of car payments but can I justify it. I'm trying to build my savings not lose them.

So here is the question... Do I put off Iceland for another year to at the least upgrade the K-1 (assuming the IQ is at least equal and the AF algorithms are noticeably improved) or to heck with the Samyang 135 and K-1 upgrade and go to Iceland this year?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mxx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow