Tamron 150-600 compared to Sigma 150-600 Contemporary

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nopix
nopix Senior Member • Posts: 1,362
Tamron 150-600 compared to Sigma 150-600 Contemporary

I have a Tamron 150-600 (original version) and a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and, a Sigma mc-11so both lenses will mount on my Sony A6500. I naturally started to wonder how the two lenses compare on the A6500. Today was a sunny day and I had little else to do so I decided to take some similar pics with both lenses. Not intended to be a rigorous assessment, just a curiosity test for me after which I began thinking that some of you may be interested.

No birds in my yard to day but I do have a utility pole with some bolts at the top and a few squirrels came out to play so these were my subjects.

Neither lens, IMO, focusses fast enough for flying critters.

The Sigma appears to allow the use of all focus modes, the Tamron seems to be using all focus points no matter what I tell it to do.

The in-camera Steadyshot appears to work much better with the Tamron than with the Sigma?? Why?

Both lenses appear to be equally sharp.

I was mildly surprised that the MC-11 worked on the Tamron which is contrary to Sigma claiming that it only works with select Sigma lenses.

Best viewed at Original Size.

First, the utility pole test

Sigma

Tamron

Now for some squirrels, close to what I usually photograph.

Sigma

Sigma

Next up, Tamron

Tamron

Tamron

Tamron

Tamron

nopix's gear list:nopix's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III Nikon 1 V2 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 +13 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow