Baby's first FF camera (6d, 6dmkii, 5dmkii, 5dmkiii)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BrunoLandMedia Forum Member • Posts: 53
Baby's first FF camera (6d, 6dmkii, 5dmkii, 5dmkiii)

Let's just assume I have been given the opportunity to keep my 80d with EFS lenses (and Nifty 50) but now get my first FF to fill in the "gaps" and learn more. Most of the time on these threads people always want to know, "why upgrade if you are happy" so I want to just put that out of the question and say, I am very happy with my 80d minus a better zoom range lens for walking around and low light, etc. I have posted about my set up before, but things have changed in a short 48 hours and my job is covering the cost of 80d and 18-135 lens leaving me with about a $4,000 budget (with $1600 already earmarked for a 70-200). and sort of PS. I am a professional in the video field, not a pro Photog, but not a slouch.

So pushing all those pesky details aside, what makes sense for a FF camera that will be used ALONG SIDE an 80d for work video, but also a personal for video and photography (walk around, toddler, vacation, portraits). This will be a second camera, not just $$$ for new lenses.

With about $4,000 to spend I could go a few ways

BODY
- 6d (original) $850 used (or 999 new) vs 5d mk ii $700 used vs 6d mk ii $1600 Refurb vs 5d mk iii $1350 used
This will obviously be the biggest choice for what I get next.

LENSES (in priority order I think)
- 70-200 2.8 IS ii $1,600
- 24-105 IS ii: $880 Refurb
OR
- 24-70 f/4 IS or f/2.8 II ($689 vs $1,400 - wow, big gap here *is the IS for video worth the one stop)
- 16-35 f/4 IS or f/2.8 II ($700-900 *is the IS for video worth the one stop)

I think it really comes down to what the best body to compliment the 80d for video, yet still give me a great FF photography experience.

I seriously look at an original 6d because, it takes damn good photos and for video, it would always be a "B" camera and or low light or part of my travel kit. But the 6dmkii checks all the non-pro boxes. I don't need 2 Card slots of head phone outs.

It's always nice to have options, so humor me!

Cheers, Chris

BrunoLandMedia's gear list:BrunoLandMedia's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow