24-70 f4 is or 24-105 f4 II dilemma

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
maboleth Contributing Member • Posts: 692
24-70 f4 is or 24-105 f4 II dilemma

I'm to a point of choosing a general purpose wide-tele lens for my work. I'd use it for lifestyle imagery and candid moments.

Currently I have 50-85-100mm primes that do the work, especially portraiture, closeups and isolated subjects.

Pure logic says, get the 24-70 f4 IS because it would be nice continuation from there with 85 and 100 macro IS. Even 50mm prime for its shallow DOF. This zoom is small and relatively light, perfect for moving and walking.

I usually love having as small as possible lens that get the job done, while not sacrificing IQ, of course. It also has, based on the tests, somewhat better IQ than 24-105 and less distortion.

Since good voice says - get 24-70 and move on, what makes 24-105 II so tempting now?

Well, that 35mm extra range. I sometimes wonder whether that 70-105 would be useful on the go, when there's no time to switch lenses or if went on the field with only one lens, 24-105 that is. I assume it would also be good for portraiture on the go with 105 f4 making quite useful separation and subject isolation.

Drawbacks? Much heavier (about 200g), lesser IQ overall, greater distortion, overlapping focal ranges with my current primes and slightly higher price.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated, as always, you guys rock.

maboleth's gear list:maboleth's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow