Safari and Non-Dustproof Camera Body?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
averacpa Regular Member • Posts: 125
Safari and Non-Dustproof Camera Body?

I'll be heading to Africa in April 2019 for a two-week plus cruise and 3-day land safari trip extension.  The cruise starts and stops in South Africa visiting a bunch of cities in that country plus a 2 day stop at Walvis Bay Nambia and one day at Maputo Mozambique. The Safari will most likely be out of South Africa (not yet determined). I plan on doing a bit of everything: wine tasting, hot air ballooning, and of course a safari.

I am interested in a 3rd camera body as I have the EM1 Mark I and GX7.  I want to avoid lens change so the EM1 will have the Oly 45-150 with the TC, the GX7 with the Pany 100-300 or prime lens, and the 3rd body with the Oly 12-40.  I'll probably bring a 15 and 45 prime lenses for night shots around camp and cities.  The 45-150 w/TC and 12-40 will be my main lenses.

The question is: how critical is it in getting a dust proof camera body like the EM1? I know the GX7 is not sealed for the elements.

I was thinking of getting a used EM5 Mark II (unless the Mark III is out), GX85 or possibly the new GX9  (want to keep the cost down).  My original goal is to replace the GX7 with the GX9 as I like the rangefinder body for light weight travel when I am changing hotels frequently and don't want to carry too much equipment and luggage, but I am open for suggestions.

Living in South Florida, there generally is not a lot of dust, just a ton of humidity.

As always, I greatly appreciate all of your input and suggestions.

Andrew

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow