Should I get a 5D Mark IV or is it just gear acquisition syndrome?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SchoolBoy
SchoolBoy New Member • Posts: 11
Should I get a 5D Mark IV or is it just gear acquisition syndrome?

Hi, I have been using 6D for ~2 years. Last time I upgraded was from a 3-year-old 550D to this and it was a huge improvement. The 6D has served me well but recently I feel kinda limited by its dynamic range and AF. (Especially after I recently got an x100F and I feel this little camera actually has almost equivalent IQ and much better AF)

I usually just use the 6D center focus point and then recompose because other AF point aren’t as reliable and the AF coverage is small anyway. However, it gives me a lot of trouble to stay wide open on a sigma 50mm 1.4. Because the DOF is too shallow for recomposing the image. The other thing is I love shooting cats. But it is a bit difficult for me to track them with the only center AF points.

Another thing that the 6D disappoints me is the DR. I feel it is quite difficult for me to get a decent exposure of the late night sky while capturing landscape. I usually prints letter size and view my images on a 25 inch 2K screen so the noise can be a bit distracting.

On the other hand, my 6D still looks brand new and $3000 can get me to a lot of places for numerous nice landscape photos. I am also an amateur who often has “stage fright” while carrying a big camera on the street. (missed tons of candid shots because of that) Since I’m not a pro and 5D is more like a pro camera , I’m afraid that it is just some gear acquisition syndrome. So should I just stick with my 6D and improve my skill or it is time for an upgrade now.

SchoolBoy's gear list:SchoolBoy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow