What to do with $2600? GM 70-200?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823
What to do with $2600? GM 70-200?

When I finish (which I have not even started) selling all my non Sony cameras and lenses at the very least I should end up with $2600 which just happens to be the price of a GM 70-200 lens. I used to shoot a ton of sports but now am limiting it to UNM Lobo basketball and eventually grandkids sports. I have been using my 80D with the Canon 70-200 2.8 and even used the Canon lens on the a6300 with a Metabones V adaptor and it actually did pretty well, not quite as good as on the 80D but not far off.

I received my a7riii a few days ago and will shoot my first game with it this evening. I am planning on using my Sony FE 70-200 4.0 (I would sell it if I ended up getting GM 70-200). With the Canon I normally shoot using 500 shutter speed, 2.8 lens speed, and 2000 iso. With the a7riii using the Sony FE 70-200 4.0 I will have to shoot at 3200 iso and lighten up a little in post. I am assuming files will look as good with a7riii at 3200 iso as 80D files at 2000 iso.

But I am soooo tempted to get the GM 70-200 but a few reviews are holding me back. I read one review that stated focusing speed not as good as Canon and Nikon 70-200s. That comment really surprised me but the camera used was the a7rii and my guess is that could make a huge difference.

So do any of you who shoot sports and have used Canon or Nikon systems and who now use the GM 70-200 feel the Sony lens does as well as the Canon or Nikon versions? My concern using my Canon lens with the adaptor is if i need to do any tracking. My understanding is a non native lens will not really track with the Metabones but not positive about this.

My thinking is I need to see how the a7riii performs this evening. I typically just post photos to an internet site but will view the difference between the Sony 3200 iso files and 80D 2000 iso files at 100%. I will be shooting men and women's games at our MWC tournament soon, but the Thomas & Mack arena in Vegas is better lit than ours so if I am pleased after this evening the Sony 4.0 70-200 should be more than fine for the tournament. What would be nice is if Tamron or Sigma came out with a 2.8 70-200 E mount in time for next basketball season.

Gary

-- hide signature --
 gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +4 more
Canon EOS 80D Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow