Practicing the art

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,410
Practicing the art

Although I see tons of parallels between photography and music production, I've never considered a parallel between practicing taking photographs and learning to play a musical instrument, and even thought it was a bit counterproductive when people suggested that to improve, you must shoot continuously.  Until now that is. As I start my career as a photographer (somewhat late at 49 years old), I am faced with a large number of assignments that in themselves are not particularly interesting, except to a relatively small audience. When I started, back in November, I quickly improved on ideas to shoot things in as interesting a way as I could see, but when I returned after the Christmas break, I struggled.  Now I'm improving daily again. The difference is in the amount of work I'm doing.  When I started, and right up to Christmas, my assignments were pretty continuous - three to five assignments per day, which kept me shooting very regularly, and giving me enough time both to post-process and to self-critique what I was doing. When I returned after the break, the work was very slow - one or two assignments per week.  I worked at numerous things including post-processing workflow, studio set up etc, but shot very little. Here we are in February, and the regular shooting has returned, and once again I'm in this pattern of shooting, processing and self-critiquing to make each assignment better than the last. I'm not 100% there with the constant improvement, but getting closer and it is now clear to me that even without defined assignments, I must be shooting a lot, constantly, in order to keep my chops in shape.

No questions, just an observation. I'm curious whether others feel this way.

Rich

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow