new fuji camera user seeking help!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
YY101 Junior Member • Posts: 29
new fuji camera user seeking help!

Hi, I got a XT20 recently and I am loving the fuji experience so far. A few questions:

1) I have tried RAW FILE CONVERTOR EX 2.0 by silkypix (RFC) and Photoscape X so far and I am not totally satisfied with either. Any free RAW convertor/editor to recommend, please?

Based on my limited experience, it seems to me that the colors of the RAW files from RFC seems to be slightly better than Photoscape X. Not sure why...is it because I am using compressed RAW? Somehow, the 2 software renders the colors slightly differently.

However in terms of editing and user interface, Photoscape X is just so much better than RFC on a macbook pro. Photoscape X runs very smoothly and there are way more editing tools available. Unfortunately RFC doesn't have the usual editing tools (such as spot healing, skin smoothing etc) that comes with the regular silkypix. But hey! It's free... so can't complain

I know the pros used LR + Photoshop but since I mainly shoot pictures of my family, I really can't justify the monthly expense.

2) I am thinking of getting a fast prime, mainly taking pictures of my wife. Any recommendations? I was initially leaning towards the 50mm f2 but it seems to have limited usage indoor and I am hoping to use this prime for both indoor and outdoor shootings. Now, I am inclined towards getting 23mm f2 or 35mm f2. Any advise on this matter? Thanks!

3) I was looking at out of focus images of foliage and stuff.

Background of image I took...

Close up of the vine hanging off branches.

Close up of foliage

Obviously, the image looks fine when zoom out. When I pixel peep (zoom in), I find the rendering of the out of focus branches a bit strange. Is this normal? My previous cameras are all cheap point and shoot so I do not have much experience with bokeh firsthand.

Thanks for any advice.

- YY

YY101's gear list:YY101's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cjb
cjb
cjb
cjb
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow