Cleaning Old(er) light stands and light cords

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cassady30
Cassady30 New Member • Posts: 10
Cleaning Old(er) light stands and light cords

I happened into a great deal on some old Speedotron Brown lights the other day.  A guy I worked for in the late 80s had a Speedotron setup, so it's something with which I'm borderline familiar -- or at least once was. (Full disclosure: I no longer earn a paycheck through photography, and haven't since, well, before the widespread adoption of digital).

Going through the archives here have led to me remembering a lot about the speedos and learning a lot that I didn't know (like how to reform the capacitors on the packs and not to plug them directly into a  modern digital camera).  So thanks for that.

Sorry for the long intro.  I do have a question, though:  the setup came with a bunch of decent, but older lightstands.  I was wondering how best to clean and service them.  Oil the knobs and such, okay.  But what about cleaning up the aluminum -- what's best for that?  I thought about MacGuires (sp?) aluminum polish, but then wondered if that would lead to slippage.  Simple Green?

Obviously, I don't need them to be polished as Harley chrome, but want them to work smoothly and well.

Same question goes for the electric cords to the strobes.  They're all in good condition, but dusty and could use some cleaning so my hands don't get dirty after handling them.  What's the best way to clean, and possibly lubricate, them?

Many thanks,

Cass

Cassady30's gear list:Cassady30's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow