Review of the Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,924
Re: Review of the Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro

Redring1 wrote:

I'm not questioning your camera choice. But I would like to ask why you would get the 7DM3 and the 50 TSE for product. would adding the 135 TSE to your 5DM4 not work for you. just curious

An APS-C camera + 50TSE will have much greater flexibility to direct the plane of focus compared to the 135TSE lens and a FF camera.  Basically, the longer the focal length, the more tilt you need for "equivalent" effect... but all these TSE lenses are mechanically limited to 8 or 9 degrees due to limits of the lens mount (fine for 17, 24, and just about enough for all practical shooting with the 45 and 50).  Large format cameras (also lenses adapted to short flange mirrorless formats) can get around this.  I struggled for years with the 90TSE with almost all my compressed landscape work at max tilt until adapting it to mirrorless (with a further tilt adapter) allowed me to unlock the missing potential.

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow