Nikon D850 and SB5000

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
macguy9 New Member • Posts: 3
Nikon D850 and SB5000

Firstly, apologies if this has been answered already. I searched the forum and wasn't able to find anything that answered this question.

My employer upgraded my camera and flash to a Nikon D850 and SB5000. I was previously using a D800 and SB910. My primary use is for fingerprint, evidence and crime scene photography.

With my old rig, when I changed zoom on the lens, the telescoping head on the flash unit would alter itself automatically to adjust for 'optimal' (read: good enough) lighting based on zoom level, aperture, etc. The new camera/flash doesn't do that, and I am forced to manually set it for each shot. I've been through every menu about a dozen times now, with no luck to see how to get it back to the way I was used to. I even resorted to reading the manuals!

The lack of response is the same whether or not it's connected via sync cable or directly to the hotshoe. Other than that, the flash works OK. It just has to be manually changed between shots, which is entirely impractical for my line of work.

Is this something to do with the wireless control system? Will the camera now only control the telescoping head with the wireless system attached? It seems a bit ridiculous, since it could previously be controlled by the shoe.

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow