Second hike with the F 70-210 on the K-1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
Second hike with the F 70-210 on the K-1

https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Feb-2018/i-q5RzkKF/A

I didn’t think until earlier today about my using the FA 50 f/1.7 and the FA 50 f/1.4. I didn’t think the 1.4 was as good as the 1.7 – at least not with my photos as evidence. Then someone suggested that I put a hood on the 1.4. It didn’t come with a hood but I couldn’t see any sun-flares in any of the images and so wasn’t sure I needed one, but after I put a hood on the 1.4, the shots did improve.

Time passed, I got the F 80-200 without a hood and photos looked good. Then I got the F70-210 without a hood and photos didn’t looks so good. I did notice that the objective lens on the 80-200 was a little more recessed than the one on the 70-210 but didn’t think much about it until this afternoon. Then I decided I might be facing a situation like the one I faced with the FA 50 f/1.4; so I put a hood on the 70-210 and gave it another chance.

There was little focus hunting today. The clunks didn’t seem as loud. Sometimes there weren’t any at all. And when I looked at the shots in Lightroom, they all seemed to be in focus. I wasn’t that happy with the short depth of field of most of the shots, but that isn’t the fault of the lens. I took some shots of the Scientology building at 210mm which were a bit affected by heat waves, but one can make everything out well enough.

A hawk passed overhead and though one doesn’t do BIF with the K-1, let alone using an old lens like the 70-210, you can see the hawk well enough, especially in the second shot. In the first it is a little difficult to make out the hawks head. I might have done better if I weren’t in the manual mode, but then I never expect to see interesting birds in flight so I am never prepared when I do.

Yesterday I thought I had a defective 70-210 and so put in a bid on another. Today I’m positive that I have a good copy. And in 5 days when the auction is over I may have two good copies.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Pentax K20D Olympus E-600 +83 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow