Optical Viewfinder Issues

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gavin Wade Junior Member • Posts: 38
Optical Viewfinder Issues

Ever since I bought a Nikon D5300 (international version) from Ritz Camera I have noticed weird dust spots in the viewfinder.  I didn't return it (it came with a 1 year ritz warranty ) because I thought it was not a big deal and I did not want to deal with customer service.  But it really started to annoy me.  It even had some scratches inside of it that I could see.  At first I thought the dust and other things were behind the focusing screen (I barely scratched it on my first cleaning attempt and had to get a new one, but I learned my lesson).  Then after getting my focusing screen to look pristine I looked through the viewfinder and noticed that almost nothing had changed. The annoying dust wasn't behind the focusing screen at all and was in fact between the viewfinder lens elements and also on the pentamirror pieces.  Even worse if I shook the camera it would move the irregularly shaped dust pieces around (some of them looked like pieces of black plastic) .  I started to notice weird smudges and other things making the viewfinder not super fun to use (I absolutely despise dust and it does affect my photography experience).  What I don't understand is how those things got there in the first place?  I see how a little bit of dust could get in there if the camera was sitting around in a warehouse for a few years, but the other things don't make sense.  Is there a way to some how get to it and clean it safely or is it just better to not attempt it?

Not sure if this is the right forum...  ...call me out if this isn't

Thanks

Gavin Wade's gear list:Gavin Wade's gear list
Nikon D5300 Canon EOS Rebel T6 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II +1 more
Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow