Day or Night, Why I Love My HX90

Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Wyman
David Wyman Contributing Member • Posts: 509
Day or Night, Why I Love My HX90

A while ago I posted some of my favorite images from my little HX90v. I think the camera is amazingly versatile, and not just because of its small size and its wide and long reach.

I think it also performs well in low as well as bright light, although it can take some work to steady the camera when the sun is out of sight. So here are ten more photos, most of them made in the last year, that have made me love my HX90v.

A green wall of vineyards rises in front of a cyclist in the Central Coast Mountains of California.

A couple of kids explore the concrete confines of Ballona Creek, where it runs through Culver City. I pulled in the Hollywood Sign, which is probably at least six miles away as the crow flies, with the camera's mighty zoom lens.

Cyclists in Griffith Park only have eyes for each other as the sit in Griffith Park, with the Los Angeles downtown skyline behind them.

This one's a bit of a cheat. I photographed part of two skyscrapers in Century City (a vast business and residential complex in Los Angeles) with my full-frame Nikon, equipped with a telephoto zoom lens. Then I photographed the moon - which was in eclipse - separately with my HX90v, locked down on a tripod and zoomed all the way out to 720mm.While the moon was in the first shot, too, it was very small. So back in my home, I shrunk the size of the moon because, in its original size, it would have overlapped the buildings. Then I pasted the moon into the shot with the skyscrapers and covered up the tiny moon.

This shot is a bit of a cheat, too. I used an app, Distressed Birds, to drop in the colorful background. The hawk in the foreground, in the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge, in Northern California, seemed not to care about my presence.

Geese rise from a flooded rice field near Colusa, California.

S-curves ast of Moab, Utah.

A couple I'd just met a sunset at Morro Bay were good sports to let a stranger make their portrait. They were glad they did when they saw the photo.

This is the back of the St. Francis Assisi Church, near Taos, New Mexico. I set the camera almost in the puddle of water, using the flip screen to help me see what I was photographing. I, not the only photographer to picture this old church, with a camera or a paint brush. Although I've photographed the church many times over the past few decades, Ansel  Adams and Georgia O'Keeffe and countless others were there before me.

Sunset on the beach in Los Angeles, during a disastrous fire 40 miles to the north that had belched tons of smoke into the sky. I steadied the camera on a wooden att jutted out of the ground just behind the beach.

-- hide signature --
 David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX100 VI Nikon D600 Sony a6000
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow