Consensus on Fuji GFX50s vs Hasselblad X1D after firmware releases?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 5,999
Re: Foveon and MF Digital Re: Lightroom/ACR sharpening and some lens coverage info

The shadow sand on sigma occurs in areas of little detail and I think is primarily due to luminance noise.  When comparing distant features on similar images between Merrill and Quattro cameras the quattros lack detail.  It can also be seen on water, flat leaves and in general the less the native detail the greater the possibility of seeing the noise.  less than optimal light of course increases it's likelihood.  It is very troublesome to some observers and apparently invisible to others.  It's been a frequent topic of conversation on the sigma forum.  I am quite sensitive to it especially when it impacts detail.   Sigma has not commented on it but I'm pretty sure they are aware since it is the biggest complaint about the Quattro architecture.  It will be interesting to see what the next generation of Foveon looks like and especially if they have improved this aspect.

My comment on the slack was a reference to my own carelessness in not watching the histogram while shooting the fuji nothing about the camera was intended.

I didn't quantify any of this in any way they were just my observations of that particular shoot.  I'll be posting some comparison images in a new thread.

Mike

left eye wrote:

docmaas wrote:

Were funds unlimited I would keep them all but that is not the case so I will continue my investigation.

Yesterday I was a little slack on the histogram on the fuji and the quattro came out looking better. Even so shadow sand started to become bothersome when I upsized the quattro image to match the fuji so I was may have been too conservative on the highlight blowing warnings.

Mike

could you show us your comparison, the Fuji 'slack on the histogram' and the Quattro 'shadow sand'...

genuinely interested, if you've gone to the bother of comparing, and clocking highlight warnings; have you a couple of jpegs to show here... would appreciate to see...

jacketpotato wrote:

docmaas wrote:

Right now I'm focussed on testing and assessing the viability of Fuji. If I found it to pass muster I might actually give up my sigmas excepting the dp fixed lens cameras and just keep the Fuji. I just need to know the IQ is there and it certainly looks like it is from looking at full res images on Flikr.

I do find the Fuji to be a really nice tool.

I think it is sensible keeping GFX in place of Sigma mirrorless interchangeable SDQ/ SDQH whilst still keeping fixed lens Sigma Foveon.

-- hide signature --

"For me, photography is only an artistic language. The camera is my pencil. -- Charly Ho
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

-- hide signature --

"For me, photography is only an artistic language. The camera is my pencil. -- Charly Ho
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow