Best ILC camera

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Alex Akai
Alex Akai Regular Member • Posts: 416
Best ILC camera

I started with OMD EM5 in mirrorless land I must admit I was a bit disappointed with small buttons weird placements and confusing menus, not to mention dismal Battery life.  Since I already had few lenses for MFT system I decided to give a try to OMD EM1 MkII.  Although I paid full $2K price when I bought it, I don't have any regrets. The camera has a steep learning curve with the menu system but once you get it down the way you want it's perfect.  The amount of customization is amazing and no other camera comes close to it.  200 Pages of the user's manual is a good testament to this fact.  I am still discovering new features after more than 6 months of usage.

This camera has a great EVF, one that is on par with OVF's  found in DSLR's.  As a bonus you get all kinds of great info in the EVF.  Once you adjust all the buttons and dials to your liking it becomes second nature to shoot and adjust without taking your eyes from the EVF.  Touch sensitive focus point selection is a great feature while you are composing with the EVF.  Speedwise very few cameras comes close to it.  60 fps and Pro Capture where you get 12 frames before you even press the shutter is nowhere to be found in other cameras...

Of course wht biggest advantage of this MFT form factor is the size and weight of the lenses and bodies.  Sensor size being smaller than APSC is not such a big problem unless you are going to print larger than a poster. Video performance is also amazing with IBIS and the 4K footage is more than enough good quality.

Overall I love this camera and the only gripe I have if I have to mention, is the fact that battery life is not as good as a DSLR which is expected for all mirrorless cameras.  But I carry two spare batteries which is more than enough for a day's worth of shooting.

Alex Akai's gear list:Alex Akai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D5300 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Sep 19, 2016
Alex Akai's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow