* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #512 on 2018 02 14 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,090
Re: Black and white.

Waynecam wrote:

I have an idea about why I like this image but may not be able to explain it with any clarity. Even though it was obviously taken in the sunlight it reminds me of the B&W horror movies of the past with the tree shadows on the church on a moonlit night. One might expect a body to come hurdling down from the bell tower a la Quasimodo. Ok, now you can tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and you would be right.

http://www.pbase.com/waynes6

B&W is perfect for this excellent image in which three elements -- walls, window, and shadow -- suggest a theme.

The potential theme that emerges for me involves representations of three Upward paths : a Physical ("stairstep") path represented by the climb of layered clapboards; a Spirititual path represented by the church window; and a Natural path suggested by the tree shadow.

Aside from theme possibilties, some minor graphic tweaks could help intrigue a viewer's eye. For example, a crop on the right side equalizes the shadowed width of intersecting walls. This makes available an "in-out" optical illusion on the right side.

Also, a trim on the left and bottom would take a baby step toward mild abstraction by removing "grounding" of both the building and the tree. The viewer's sense of his/her own vantage point is put in question.

I think these crops also unbalance the composition in an interesting way, and contribute to the overall dynamic.

Sample:

-- hide signature --

Don

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow