Focusing issues with 200-500?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
suzs Junior Member • Posts: 35
Focusing issues with 200-500?

Was wondering if anyone else was experiencing similar issues with this lens not acquiring sharp focus intermittently. I've owned it for about a year-and-a-half and have been happy for the most part, but occasionally I will suddenly have difficulties getting anything remotely close to being in focus.

The two shots below were taken on a fairly clear morning (very slight haze that was quickly burning off), about 25 feet away, from inside a car (window down, car turned off),  VC on, BBF, with single focus point over the bird's eye. Of nine shots taken of the bird facing the camera, every one was OOF. When the bird turned away from the camera, the in-focus rate improved, though not all were sharp. I'm not a spray and pray type shooter, so each shot was individually focused and composed through the viewfinder which looked sharp at the time of capture (to me!).

I don't know what I could be doing to cause the lapse. I've tried using a higher SS with VC turned off, but that doesn't seem to help. The light conditions here can be quite bright and harsh, even in the early morning hours, which may add to my problems encountered.

I'm hoping it's just user error since it has been capable of getting sharp results, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Suzanne

OOF uncropped, unedited

uncropped, unedited

suzs's gear list:suzs's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D750 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow