Why seem images from X-trans III cameras always mushier than Sony images (even RAW?)

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joker33 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Why seem images from X-trans III cameras always mushier than Sony images (even RAW?)

Hi guys,

Fujifilm X-trans III sensors (such as in the X-T20 or X-T2) are advertised to have a better resolution and details compared to equivalent Bayer Sensors due to their architecture.

However, when I compare RAW or JPEG images taken by the above mentioned Fuji cameras with the comparable cameras with Bayer sensors (such as from the Sony a6300 or a6500), then the Sony cameras always have crisper sharper and more finely detailed images. That's noticeable especially if the motive includes for example fine hair or landscape photography that including grass or trees (comparisons were taken from reviews such as from dpreview). On the website mirrorlesscomparison they even compared different algorythms to process the RAW files from FUJI images and they get better results for example with Irident, however the a6300 still looks a tick better.

I would appreciate any more information about the IQ as I currently want to make a decision between the above-mentioned systems and currently tending towards Fuji due to lens selection and camera design.

I don't get the advantage of the Xtrans III sensor if it delivers mushier images compared to equivalent Bayer sensors? I thought the resolution and sharpness was always a selling argument for the X-trans sensors? Maybe I am missing something.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joker33's gear list:Joker33's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Sony a6300 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow