1900 x 1200 vs 2560 x 1440

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
kkph222 New Member • Posts: 1
1900 x 1200 vs 2560 x 1440

I have recently upgraded my monitor. It took a lot of research and time so I thought I would share my findings. Forums were a great help as was this site:

https://www.color-management-guide.com/how-to-choose-monitor-for-photography.html#4k

I have an early 2011 Mac Book Pro which I had connected to a (now fading) 20" Apple Cinema Display 1680 x 1050. Sadly Apple are not selling screens at the moment. I was wondering whether to go the whole hog and go for 4K screen or half way WQHD (2560 x 1440) or stick nearer to my trusty mac screen 1920 x 1200?

I was concerned about performance - the screen slowing down my work flow in lightroom and icons and text being to small to read and the screen being far too big. There were a lot of mixed messages on line.

I even thought about upgrading to an iMac with the new 4K screen but the shiny screen really put me off.

After much looking I was really drawn to the

EIZO 24inch CS2420 1900 x 1200 and

EIZO 27inch CG2420 or CS2730 2560 x 1440.

At this price range I really wanted some wow factor so although I was going to stick with the closest to what I had already to stay on the safe side I did want to go for the 27 inch screen and more resolution.

I found that the graphics card in my MacBookPro would only support up to 2560 x 1440 so that ruled out the 4K option but would support the mid range.

In the end I bit the bullet and took the risk with the 27inch CS2730 (2560 x 1440)

I connected it via the Display Port to MDP adapter that came with the screen which worked perfectly when I deselected my previous setting 'Mirror Screens' and selected Default for Display - no need for any scaling.

I use Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC the software is compatible with this resolution and although slightly smaller the text is fine. There are no issues when rendering 1:1 previews I get the detail I am used to just more of the image on the screen and room for tools on either side. I have Microsoft 360 and all Office documents view perfectly.

You can go into your other apps individual preferences and increase the display size from there also. Web looks great too I increased Chromes fonts in preferences there too.

Wex photographic were really helpful and provided a great service.

All in all really pleased with the size and quality - so glad I took the plunge!

Good Luck!!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow