5500 or 7500 for backpacking?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graytrekker
graytrekker Regular Member • Posts: 315
5500 or 7500 for backpacking?

I have been trying to figure out which camera system would work best for me this summer for mainly backpacking landscape photography. I have read a lot of postings here, as well as the Sony APS-C forum. I have also posted a few questions on each as well.

One message comes through loud and clear. There are a lot of people dissatisfied with a lot of lenses out there, regardless of whether its Sony or Nikon (seems more on the Sony forum).  After comparing specs on many camera bodies, one gets a little numb. However, I have decided to let the quality of the lens direct my choice. I had posted a question here awhile back about the 16-80 Nikon lens.  People generally seem to have a high opinion of it.

Rather than comparing all these camera specs (many of which don't apply to my situation - like video), I thought I would approach this decision from a different angle:  OK - so let's assume the 16-80 meets my needs.  For backpacking, weight is obviously one of the factors to be considered - but not the only one.  If one is going to bust ones butt to get to an awesome spot to photograph, one wants to be able to have the gear to reasonably capture it.  I am no Ansel Adams, and I am not hauling a view camera anywhere.

Second assumption - the choice comes down to the D5500 (14.8 oz) and the D7500 (22.5 oz).  There is also currently about a $500 difference as well.

So, to help me cut through the maze of specifications, please - would the 7500 return "better" images than the 5500, and if so, why?  What functions does the 7500 have that the 5500 doesn't that would make it worth using in this specialized circumstance? [and please don't suggest other camera bodies, like the 7200 - let's keep this as simple as possible]

Right now, the 7500 + the 16-80 is on sale ($470).  For the 5500 + 16-80, I'd probably have to buy used or refurb.  New is always nice.

Thank you all for your considered opinion.

graytrekker's gear list:graytrekker's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +5 more
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow