Canon 7D Mk II and Prime Lens for Oahu/Maui Trip

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jiffry1017 New Member • Posts: 10
Canon 7D Mk II and Prime Lens for Oahu/Maui Trip

Hi

I'm planning a vacation trip with my spouse to Oahu/Maui for 10 days in March.

I have a Canon 7D Mk II and 3 Prime lenses (35mm f/2 IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8). I tend to shoot more portraits, but am thinking about trying to shoot more landscape photos, especially cause I'll be in Oahu/Maui.

My questions are

1) Which lens should I be using most? I'm thinking the 35mm will be on my 7D body for 95% of the time except for when I want to take some close up shots of the spouse (then I'll pull out the 85mm).

2) Will the 35mm be wide enough on my 7D Mk II body for these landscape photos? I'm concerned about it being wide enough and there being enough light.

3) Because I may want to upgrade to a FF in the future, I'm not too keen on buying any E-EF-S lenses. I actually sold my 17-55mm f/2.8 as I didn't like the quality and the weight. I ended up using my primes more. I would be open to renting a lens for the trip if it's really necessary. Is there a particular lens I should rent or am I good with the primes I have?

4) I don't own a tripod right now, but how important is it that I get one before the trip? This isn't a photography specific trip, so I'd prefer not to lug more than I need to around. I'm hoping bumping the ISO up and the shutter speed up along with the IS on the 35mm will be sufficient enough to correct for any hand shake on some landscape photos. If so, what ISO level should I probably not exceed with the 7D Mk II?

Thanks.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow