More pixels verses larger sensor - Image Quality?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP Brisn5757 Senior Member • Posts: 2,143
Re: Faulty test?

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Brisn5757 wrote:

Brisn5757 wrote:

Brisn5757 wrote:

Brisn5757 wrote:

Flowers Photo test.

Some said that that my first attempt of the test flower photos had too much difference in the ISO value, so I re-photographed the flower again using the M43 camera and this time both photos have the same ISO value of 125, The lens on the M43 camera can't go as wide as f2.8 so f5.6 was used due to zooming in a bit.

It's not just ISO that matters. For a meaningful test you need to get as many things as possible the same.

Just looking at the two pictures the first flower fills much more of the frame than the second. That means it gets a bigger share of the resolving power of both the lens and the sensor, so the test is biased in favour of the first lens.

Focal lengths are drastically different (the crop factor comes in too but the crop factors are 2.7 v 2 while the FLs are 8,8mm v 140mm). Zoom lenses usually perform better at some focal lengths than others - you should compare them at (at least roughly) the same points in their zoom range - short end v short, long end v long.

Also, as the flowers aren't different sizes in anything like the same ratio then both perspective and depth of field are different. There is variation in sharpness across both pictures so it's hard to find a meaningful point of comparison.

The photos are at different angles so, again, it's hard to find a meaningful point of comparison.

I tried to get the center yellow part of the flower sharp, but as there is pollen on the center parts its usually a bit fizzy.

That's as much because of the saturation of the yellows getting near to clipping (if not actually clipping) which kills details, especially if there's little contrast. I haven't, of course, got any directly comparable shots: this one is a bit close than yours but individual pollen grains are visible.

I feel that the first photos seems to be better quality, but maybe others will disagree.

There's no real evidence to choose either way.

1 inch sensor

M43 sensor

Thanks for your feedback Gerry.

This is the second time I've compared the two cameras by posting photos and it usually has resulted in others saying similar things to what you say such as different angle etc.

To try and get the same photo I'd need to put the two cameras on a tripod but getting down low enough to photo the flower is a problem with a tripod.

I can't see how the tripod stops you getting low, as long as it's a reasonably adjustable tripod. Ignore the lighting; just look at the tripod.

But even if your tripod doesn't allow that there are plenty of ways of getting very nearly the same view. For example, use a brick or stick as support so that you can hold each camera in virtually the same place.

I would also have to use the same lens on each camera

No you wouldn't. What matters is getting comparable shares of the picture on the flower.

One way of doing this is to equalise the (field of view) to (focal length) to (crop factor) numerically. M43 has a 2X crop factor, 1" has ~2.7X. So if you hold the camera in the same place you need 1.35X the FL on M43 compared to 1".

Your first shot above is at 8.8mm so to compare the second would need 8.8 x 1.35 = 11.88 (12) mm; but your M43 lens is 140-140 so that doesn't work. Turn it round and put the M43 at 14mm and the other at 10.4mm (or 28mm equivalent if that's what the scale shows).

If you don't want to do the maths in the field just take the photo with one camera and look at the picture on its LCD. Then zoom the other camera until the views match.

and try and get similar exposure settings.

If you set aperture and ISO the same in both camera and shoot in Av mode the cameras will equalise exposure pretty closely. And ...

Also as the jpg processing software is different in the cameras then I'm always going to get a different result.

... the different result is what you are trying to evaluate. One of the JPG settings is sharpening - sharpness is a big part of the comparison you are making, so as long as you have both cameras at their default settings you get what you want to compare.

But judging from the many photos I've taken with both cameras the lens on the RX100 IV gives the sharpest result.

I'm not challenging your overall impression. All I'm saying is that the two shots you've posted show nothing either way.

This may be due to less zoom power. I had several attempts to get the same or close to the photo that the Sony RX100 IV took with the Panasonic G7 camera but could not do it.

The RX100 has equivalent zoom range of 24-70, your M43 lens 28-280. You won't get quite as wide a view on M43 as the RX100 at its shortest but in the equivalent range 28-70 both should give the same view.

Apart from the pollen focus problem I'm happy with the photo from the Sony RX100 (1 inch sensor) camera. I might take up the challenge of trying to get a sharp shot of the pollen by reducing the saturation like you suggested or reducing the exposure then increasing the exposure on parts of the flower using a photo editor.

Thanks Gary for your comments.

A storm is on it's way and due to hit New Zealand early next week ( Likely to be Monday) so I may not have long to repeat the test using your suggestions. If my part of New Zealand gets hit then their will be no flowers to photograph.

There is another way of looking at this.

Suppose two photographers take a closeup of the same flower and each photographer has a different camera. They then compare photos to see which camera has taken the best photo. It's then up to the camera to produce the best result. One camera might decide to boost the ISO and the other camera decides to widen the aperture.

That's what I said (without the examples of what might change) in the section I've made bold above. But if you want to se how well the camera-made decisions compare you have to get everything else the same.

In life you get these situations where it's often left to the camera and some cameras are better at taking photos then others but it can also depend on the type subject.

But the camera can't choose where to stand, nor which subject to shoot.

In this case I felt that the Sony RX100 IV took a better photo. Maybe with different lens on the Panasonic G7 things might have been different.

Or if you'd used a different focal length, or if you'd stood in the same place, or ...

-- hide signature --

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006

Hi Gerry.

Yes there are many variations which is why I take more than one photo. I sometimes find it looks great on the cameras screen (preview) but not so good on the computers monitor which is bigger so any problems are easier to see.

However cameras are much better these days and often photos taken of the same subject look very similar. It's like comparing TV's that are showing the same picture.

Brisn5757's gear list:Brisn5757's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 300D +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow