Best foundational book for an absolute beginner?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MicroTwix
MicroTwix New Member • Posts: 3
Best foundational book for an absolute beginner?

I'm a complete photography beginner. I've been taking photos with point-and-shoot cameras and phones for years, but never with a full-blown proper camera. I was given a hand-me-down Nikon D40 in good condition, and I want to learn to use it properly. So far, I've just messed with manual focus

I've tried googling, but can't seem to find an good answer to my question. I'm maybe phrasing it badly.

I'm looking for a single book that will give me a really good introduction to, and foundational knowledge of, photography. A book that covers everything in a structured way. One that goes into a bit of the technical detail and explains things to me so that I understand light levels and f-stops and all the other stuff I see but don't understand. I'd like it to be structured so that I actually build a good, working knowledge.

I'm keen to avoid learning haphazardly because I've found this makes progressing much harder in the long run. This has definitely bitten me when it's come to my computer skills, for example.

Ideally, the book would be quite cheap or available second-hand because I don't have much money.

I know that's quite specific, so hopefully this hasn't made finding 'the' book impossible.

What book would you recommend?

MicroTwix's gear list:MicroTwix's gear list
Nikon D40
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow