WiFi attenuation / WiFi antenna placement, high gain antennas, etc

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153
WiFi attenuation / WiFi antenna placement, high gain antennas, etc

So I've played with high gain antennas over the years, and changing the placement of WiFi antennas, and I've found a couple things are dead on...

1. Directional WiFi antennas really help if you're trying to cure a dead spot, pretty self-explanatory, point it relative to the scope of the dead spot, ta-da, solved.

2. High gain antennas help with range, but, you need to have one on both ends.

Now there's alot of in the middle, and I'm looking for general input here as I've found just throwing a high gain antenna on either a client or router, without doing the other, appears to have no appreciable gain, no pun intended. And, using non-default antenna placement appears to reduce performance overall, I've found defaults are best for a reason, even if I don't always understand it.

First of all, my end-goal here is to simply optimize what I have, leave no stone unturned in my quest for ultimate network performance. It's good/great already, I don't have a problem to cure per say, just looking to improve latency further / improve range further, if possible.

What I have...

Asus RT-68U router with stock antenna in (stock) 45-degree angle configuration centrally located in a single story home.

What I'm considering...

1. Changing (all 3) the antennas to vertical orientation to optimize x and y axis performance at the expense of z axis.

What I've found in the past by doing so: Even on just the X and Y, I'm getting less signal. Now, whether this is due to more errors being introduced, or interference, or I need even a hair on the Z-Axis as anything truly flat is a bad idea, not sure, but perhaps this is worth a revisit.

2. Buying some high gain 9dbi omni directional antennas

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMJI9TA/

I'm a bit skeptical here as theoretically although the wire should run in a spiral along the axis increasing the surface area exposed, it's still more attenuation, which could be bad in as much as good. I've also found in the past, as I mentioned, this to be of no gain, no pun intended, unless you have another high gain receiver in which to talk to it with and introducing a non-stock antenna on a router, could prove more harm then good is my fear.

I'm not looking to add a repeater, just do something with my existing router and see if it can be optimized.

Thoughts?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow