Replacing My G12: G7X MkII, G1X Mk II or ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ianxponent Junior Member • Posts: 26
Replacing My G12: G7X MkII, G1X Mk II or ?

My G12 has served me well for over seven years and is actually still going strong but with an upcoming trip to Europe in May, I'm wondering if it may be time for a newer camera with larger sensor, newer DIGIC version and features like wifi, etc.

Background: I don't have or want a DSLR or really feel the need of a changeable lens system. Been there, done that with film cameras many years ago. An advanced point and shoot is great for my needs. I have a decent smartphone (Galaxy S8+) but still prefer an actual dedicated camera for taking quality photos. Since my second digital P&S, an A620, I've also appreciated an articulating screen so that feature is a must-have for me. While I prefer the full articulation of my G12, tiltable is fine as long as it can tilt up for selfies and low down shots and also tilt down for shots over the crowd's heads. The zoom of the G12 is OK but I've always wished its wide angle was 24 mm equivalent instead of 28 mm. I'm also thinking a larger sensor with faster lens would help in low light levels which may come into play in our upcoming trip e.g. we have an evening sunset tour planned for Stonehenge

So with all that in mind, the two cameras I mentioned look attractive especially as both are priced very low as refurbs on the Canon store website: $510 for the G7X Mk II and $430 for the G1X Mk II. I've heard that Canon's refurbs are quite decent. I have handled the G7X Mk II but am wondering if it's a bit small for me. It does have a nice solid feel but the back controls seemed more crowded than those on my G12. I have yet to handle the G1X Mk II but it's clearly quite a bit bulkier and heavier than my G12.

I'm not wedded to Canon but am used to their menu structure and appreciate the physical controls I have with my G12. I've also had excellent service from my A620, G12 and a tiny Elph 130IS I also own. The latter has wifi which would also appear to be a must have these days especially with the upcoming trip and desire to backup files and share some using social media. I'm hoping to avoid taking a laptop so would transfer files to my Galaxy S8+ for upload to the internet/cloud.

Anyway, these are some of my thoughts and would appreciate any insight others might have that would help me in this decision.

Ian

Canon G1 X II Canon G7 X II Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NWT
NWT
NWT
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow