Beginner looking to jump into mirrorless full frame

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NotAPhotog Regular Member • Posts: 108
Beginner looking to jump into mirrorless full frame

I'm a beginner looking to shoot portraits and I'm trying to decide between a Canon 6D and a Sony A7II. The 6D has cheaper lens and a wider selection but the A7II has all the benefits of a mirrorless system - smaller bodies, no camera slap, shorter flange distance, etc.

What's stopping me from going with the Sony is the extremely limited and very expensive FE lens selection. I know the Metabones EF to E Mount Adapter is a popular solution and so are legacy MF lenses but I'd rather use proprietary glass.

The Sony FE 50mm is a bargain at $250 and is perfect for portraits, but the Canon EF equivalent goes for $125. The next cheapest lens I want is the FE 85mm f/1.8 at $550, which isn't that bad but the Canon EF equivalent goes for $370. Samyang makes a nice 35mm prime with AF for $350 which isn't a portrait lens but is actually cheaper than the EF equivalent, which is a nice surprise.

Other than the 35mm/50mm/85mm lens combo I'm not sure what else I'd need, but I know for a fact that everything else is very expensive for Sony. That goes for bodies and lenses both.

Sony FE is the future, but Canon EF is the sensible option here, even if the technology may be outdated and the cameras a little large.

Should I even bother with Sony FF?

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow