Image stabilization question 7DII

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
orbmansony
orbmansony Contributing Member • Posts: 673
Image stabilization question 7DII

I’ve been using my Canon 100-400mm II lens with my 7DII for more than a year now, and am happy with the results. My primary use is for wildlife, mostly birds. Initially, I used it with IS mode 3 on a monopod, but found this to be a hassle when getting it and out of a car while birding along roads. I switched to IS mode 1, and stopped using the monopod. This worked fairly well, especially for perched birds, but my results for flying birds have been erratic.

I found that the pistol grip on my monopod allowed me to get the camera on flying birds more quickly, and also allowed me to keep the camera steadier and on a flying bird, than just hand held without the monopod.

A few days ago, I removed the pistol grip from the monopod, attached it to the lens, and have been testing shots in hand-held, IS mode 1. Shots of flying birds have been much better, as well as it being easier to get perched birds into the field of view.

However, it seems that some of the time, IS does not kick in when trying to take a shot of a perched bird. I think that I read somewhere that the 7DII can automatically sense if the camera is on a tripod and momentarily turns off IS, and I wonder if this auto-sensing feature is thinking that the camera is on a tripod, and does not engage?

If this is true, is there a way to turn off tripod auto-sensing, or would IS mode 2 or 3 be better with the pistol grip?

Thanks,

Orb . . .

orbmansony's gear list:orbmansony's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow