A7RII or a99?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Flat view
Elite83 Contributing Member • Posts: 969
A7RII or a99?

I'm thinking long term in upgrade paths to my small business. I've started doing small weddings and covering performing arts events and I've really been struggling to keep up with the lack of physical controls, and moreover af-speed of my aging NEX-6.

Investment costs in this case are important. From a quick browse of trending prices, it seems I can get a used A7RII for approximately $1700. The trending price for a used a99 seems to be around $1000.

In investment costs, this difference is large, but not massive. However, my other thought is: A-mount is also generally much cheaper than FE lenses, and A-mount can be adapted (and work well) for FE cameras down the road as long as increased size/bulk isn't a priority. Additionally, any A-mount lens I buy (with the LA-EA4) will still allow me to have cross-compatibility with the NEX-6 as backup.

Now down to the actual question, two really big reasons for considering a new camera are:

1.) Upgrading to FF

2.) Better, and more reliable AF

Since both the A7RII and a99 have FF sensors (many other sensor nuances aside), the make-or-break in considering a purchase is whether or not the PDAF on Sony's older SLT camera is still considerably faster more reliable than the A7RII?

I know Sony's newer (pro) bodies like the A7RIII and A9 have comparable, if not better AF. But unfortunately, I can only dream about affording such nice toys someday. Today it's about making strategic investments to grow my business with limited funds.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-- hide signature --
 Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a9 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow