I Really Don't Care Anymore

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,054
I Really Don't Care Anymore

I no longer care. I really, really don't care.

We've talked about equivalent focal length for years now and we still don't get it and I no longer care to help explain it.

A 50mm lens is always and forever going to be a 50 mm lens no matter what camera it's attached to. The field of view will change depending on the size of the sensor of the camera, but the focal length of the lens will always be 50mm. Nothing magic happens when you put that lens on a different camera. It's still a 50mm lens.

My greatest frustration here is that most of us have never held a "FF" camera in our hands, let alone that we would be intimately familiar with the view through the viewfinder of a film era 35mm camera.

It seems crazy to me that we want to compare an EF 24-105 lens to an E-mount 16-70 lens. On any one given camera, 16 is always going to be wider than 24, 105 is always going to be longer than 70. The field of view on different cameras can balance things out, but it's is all about the camera and not the lens.

I might change my mind in a month or a year, but right now I'm just tired of talking about Equilivent Focal Lengths.

Thank you for reading this rant. Good night and goodbye.

-- hide signature --

"If you have to pixel-peep to see the difference, there ain't much difference."
-- Sam K., NYC
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow