Close-up filters

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 1,670
Close-up filters

So over the weekend, I was doing some close up photography, which I don't do (and haven't done in a long time) and it was recommended that I get some close-up filters (as I don't want to invest in a macro lens right now).  I'm a bit new to the close-up photography stuff so I have a some questions and need some guidance...

It was suggested that I get a +1 filter that is composed of two pieces of glass (I guess, instead of a single piece), as I was advised that the two-piece design will help correct CA  that might occur.

I will be needing a 77mm filter, and am wondering what is a good brand to get that isn't terribly expense, like not over $100 or so (simply because I'm not sure how much I'll use this filter on my lens).

I was also told that they work better at shorter focal lengths (like 70mm or less, or in some cases, it was recommended to just use a 50mm prime).

I will mainly be photographing things like butterflies and smaller flowers, but nothing like ants or anything really small.

Suggestions?  I do see some kits from Hoya and a few others online for around $100.  I usually buy B+W filters (for my ND and CPL filters, but am not sure if they make close-up filters or if they do, are their close-up filters any better/worse than, say, Tiffen, Hoya, etc)?

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow