1080p120 or 1080p240 under $1000?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lepigpen New Member • Posts: 2
1080p120 or 1080p240 under $1000?

I have a ridiculous expectation of cameras. The perfect camera for me would be as small as possible, totally waterproof, with swappable lenses, etc. etc. long story short it does not exist. You can't film surfing and snowboarding and weddings and portraits with the same camera (not well anyway).

I've come to terms that underwater photography should be left to the gopros and action cams, portrait photography should be left to the DSLR with full manual controls and large sensors. So I'm not going to get either of those now.

What I want is a standard, boots on the ground photo/video hybrid that does both decently. But I'm also audacious enough to want 120 or 240fps at full 1080p res. Because the things I capture are some of the best ways to display slomo footage. Sports and the like.

Problem I see, however, is that there's a gap in the industry. Most affordable bridge/mirrorless/DSLR cameras only go to 60fps and maybe do 120 at 720p. Maybe. And then we have cameras hitting 5 figures or more that do 1000fps and beyond which is light years beyond my budget.

For example, the $5000 1D Mark II does 4k60 and 1080p120... The $800 iPhone 8 with its tiny sensor and whopping 2x optical zoom does 4k60 and 1080p240. Obviously the quality is $4000 different but you pay for every pixel.

The DSLRs don't have it. The camcorders don't even have it! The market exists solely for action cameras and phones as a sales gimmick. But it's a damn good gimmick.

It's very awkward to say the iphone 8 does 4k60 and 1080p240 with optical stabilization... And no other camera does that for even close to the same price. And as much as the lack of control and no zoom puts a damper on the fun, it still churns out a great image.

So... Am I buying a phone I never would have bought because it's the best value camcorder on the market?? (Please say no)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS-1D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow