NEX6 + 55-210 + 16-50 got wet: Should I send them in?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Speezy Junior Member • Posts: 43
NEX6 + 55-210 + 16-50 got wet: Should I send them in?

Long, bad mistake story short, my hydration bladder leaked and put ~1" of water into the bottom of my camera backpack. My nex6 body with the 16-50 on it at the time and a 55-210 got wet. They were not pouring water when I picked then up, but there was water (not moisture but water) on/in:

The battery compartment

The USB/HDMI slots

On/behind the rear screen

On the sensor/in the sensor cavity

Moisture in the viewfinder other side of the glass

In the lens body (backside) of both lenses

On the front glass of each lens and in all the cracks

Under the PZ slider on the 16-50

Like said, they were not pouring out water when I picked then up, but they dripped. They were probably submerged (this was filtered drinking water from a gym filter) in the bag for anywhere from 10-30 minutes. Never turned it on, pulled the battery and SD card immediately. I'm in Hawaii so I brought them back to my hotel room, blew them out as best I could with the rocket dried off with towels/MF and went and got rice.

They have now been sitting in rice in ziplock bags since Friday morning (its Sunday) and I leave to go home to the mainland tomorrow. Should these immediately go to Sony when I get home, or is this a lost cause? Should I let them sit for another week and then try to power it on, maybe with a manual lens with a dumb adapter do if there is a short it doesn't kill anything else? I'm guessing at the very least this all needs to be professionally cleaned, and worst case they are all toast. I know the items are nothing fancy, just wasn't planning to spend $1200+ on new gear right this second. My skills have not surpassed the capability of the camera do wanted to ride it out a bit longer. I could also try tearing the body down myself, done plenty of similar things before, but in not familiar with how carefully to be with camera internals versus say building a computer, disassembling a cell phone, etc.

The best part is I'm in Hawaii, shooting on the beach, on boats and in the rain, and my hydration pack did this. Note to self - never leave the mouth piece end tucked into the pack rainfly when it's on...

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow