Backdrop Setup for At Home Amateur Photography

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
IronImage New Member • Posts: 23
Backdrop Setup for At Home Amateur Photography

I'm looking to create a super budget at-home backdrop consisting of a black curtain to capture interesting shots of my 5 month old baby.  In terms of gear to show my level of photog investment, I have a Panasonic G85 mirrorless with a few lenses (for this, imagine I'd stick to my Panny 42.5/1.7 and looking to get the PL 15/1.7 lens).  I also have the 12-60 kit lens but imagining the others to be better lenses for this need.  No flashes or anything yet and honestly don't even know how to use the in-camera flash (staying away from it in lieu of natural light and of course trying not to hurt my baby).  Only started shooting last summer so don't have extensive knowledge anyways and flash hasn't been top of my list.

Anyways, honestly was imagining my wife holding a black curtain at the back of our bed where we have great natural light and in researching the right cloth, wondered if it ever actually works out or if I need any type of minimal home set-up (thinking if it'd look too wrinkly, what if my wife needs to get our baby's attention vs holding the curtain, etc).  I have a lot of space in the basement but no natural light so figure that isn't an ideal spot for anything inspiring.  I have a living room I could set up a mini set-up that I could use and put up/break down after every "session" and figure I'd just need no more than a 6-ft wide/5-ft tall backdrop for my needs.

I've read about cotton/muslin fabrics/paper rolls/etc but given my limited and non-pro needs, wonder what might be best to keep it easy.  The harder/more involved the set-up, the less I'd use it I imagine.

Welcome any/all ideas and thanks so much!!

And to make this post worth reading, here's a shot of my baby girl (and great example as to why I'm looking to use a black backdrop - chair/air purifier/mirror in the background).

Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow