NZ birds V1 +70=300 CX

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
RussellP Senior Member • Posts: 2,137
NZ birds V1 +70=300 CX

I spend a few days at Tawharanui Regional Park about an hour north of Auckland. As well as a popular beach it is an open sanctuary and marine reserve. So the area is a peninsular and is fenced with predator a proof fence which keeps out rats, stoats, ferrets, cats etc. There are numerous rare birds including about 120 kiwi and about 10 very rare Takahe which number about 250 in the world. I did a couple of walks through the forest part of the park trying to capture some of our native birds. The shooting conditions were very difficult with bright sun and heavy forest meaning dappled and distracting light that caused focusing and exposure problems.

I shoot on manual with the shutter speed and aperture set allowing the camera to set the ISO to suit the light. I set the camera to Auto 3200 which is higher than I would like but there is no auto 1600 and 800 is not enough. Beside better at 3200 than not at all and sometime the conditions in the forest can be quite dark, even on a sunny day.

I shoot on spot focus and continuous mode then run through DXO prime for noise reduction before adjusting in Mac photos.

This is a NZ Dotterel. It sometimes does the old injured wing thing if you get to close to its young. Not sure if this is what was happening here or if it was just cocking his leg at me.

This is the NZ Saddleback and is only found on the mainland in sanctuaries. Its hard to photograph as it tends to scramble a lot around the forest floor where its really dark. I was quite please with this considering the high ISO.

This is a NZ Bellbird. They are very melodic and not as rare as most of the others.

This is a NZ Whitehead. Very rare and very hard to photograph. They are very flighty and flit around a lot usually inside trees. They are only found in the North Island but there is an identical bird in the south island that is yellow instead of white. Known as the Yellowhead of course. I was very lucky to get this one with a small cricket in its beak.

This is the NZ Native Wood Pigeon or Kereru. They are quite large and make a distinctive sound when flying. They sour and dive with quite a woosh sound.

This is the NZ Fantail. They are very small and flit around very quickly. Very hard to catch. You can see a lot of them sometimes as they follow humans through the forest to zoom in on the bugs we stir up as we walk. The tail fans out to capture insects mid flight.

And just a quick pano to show you what the beach looks like when you are not chasing bird pictures. Another crowded NZ beach! (Not a N1 camera but at least its a 1" sensor)

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow