New Panasonic G7 owner, looking for deeper DOF when vlogging. Lens or setup suggestion?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Flat view
Holychachi New Member • Posts: 1
New Panasonic G7 owner, looking for deeper DOF when vlogging. Lens or setup suggestion?

Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying I'm very new to photography and videography.  I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix G7 for vlogging with the kids.  We have been using a cheapo Canon camcorder, but I decided to upgrade to a G7 which I can also use to take photos of the kids and whatnot.  I've run into a problem that seems to be quite the opposite of just about everyone else's issue.  
We film a lot of gaming videos where one of us will be sitting approx. 3 feet from the camera and the other two of us anywhere from 3 ft to 8ft away.  We filmed the first video with the autofocus, but with the almost constant searching, it just doesn't look good.  I have tried manual focus which looks much better but with the kit lens (14-42mm), we can only get one of us in focus or near focus and the other two are way out of focus.

So my question is, is there a lens or setup we can use, manual focus preferably, that we can set up the camera 3ft away from the closest person and have the DOF reach from 3ft to 8ft back?

We have a gopro that seems to handle this pretty well, but i'd really like to be able to use the G7 for this.  I've alos watching tons of videos and googled this extensively but really to no avail.  I've looked at different lenses, but all the supplied information is like reading a different language!  I really appreciate any advice you guys can provide.   Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Holychachi's gear list:Holychachi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +2 more
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow