Google Photos as Windows photo viewer

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mentos77
mentos77 Contributing Member • Posts: 817
Google Photos as Windows photo viewer

I have just discovered Google Photos for jpegs and it’s unlimited uploading. It is awesome having all my devices sync, so I can now edit photos on my tablet, as when you click edit it offers you the option to choose an installed app (Polarr for me).

There isn’t the same option on Windows or is there a way to make use of it? It would be much faster than the in built viewer. Other viewers aren’t my cup of tea and I tried DigiKam the other day but it kept crashing.

Anyone else using Google Photos as your main viewer and photo organiser? Or is it too limited? I have uploaded 15000 photos, maybe I should try another DAM like DarkTable (also editor).

edit: There used to be an app called Client for Google Photos but it seems to have disappeared.

Giving DarkTable a try instead but it feels a bit clunky.

edit 2:  Instead I opened Google Photos in Chrome and in the settings dropdown I click More Tools> Add to Desktop. That gives me a desktop icon to open Google Photos and I can click upload to import photos from an SD card.  But there is no option to open a photo in Polarr or any other software. The in-house editing is too basic.

Will try using darktable for PC and upload to Google Photos at same time for tablet.

mentos77's gear list:mentos77's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-E3 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow