Time to retire the pen f for a gx9?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kszchopstix Regular Member • Posts: 218
Time to retire the pen f for a gx9?

Hello all.

With the news release of the gx9 I can't help but think that it's the casual m43 range finder styled camera that I've been waiting for as it has a built in bounce flash, fast and decent low light autofocus and decent video recording features to boot with its Panasonic version of image stabilisation.

The two Ranger finder styled cameras I've been using as of late is the fuji xe2s which I use with a speed booster and adapted vintage canon fd lense to give me rich and smooth full frame-look images and the pen f for almost everything else. I do have an em 1 mkii but I only use my big zoom lenses with it for sports photography events. I find the em 1 mkii a great and responsive camera but it lacks the compact finesse of my two range finder bodies.

There have been times during indoor events where the pen f just pumps the auto focus and just refuses to lock on with my prime lenses in single auto focus mode . If Olympus had fixed this issue I wouldn't be posting this topic. Also the built in bounce flash on the gx9 seems like a no brainer feature that should be on most casual cameras these days. It's a feature that I value greatly with the Fuji xe2s despite being the oldest but very functional camera. I find that the auto focus on the xe2s, although slower to acquire focus lock, more reliable than the Olympus pen f. The pen f can be an aggravating tool in such situations.

So far I've been going on a negative rant and rationalizing selling off my pen f but I do know I will be giving up a few vital things along with the sunk financial cost.

1/8000 shutter

Live time shutter and bulb

Hi res mode

Extreme good in-camera jpeg  editing tools

And maybe better battery life?

That's all I can think of off hand. In end the image quality will most likely be the same but the handling and responsiveness is probably what I'm after.

What do you guys think?

Kszchopstix's gear list:Kszchopstix's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Tokina Reflex 300mm F6.3 MF Macro +8 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow