Manfrotto 410 Gearhead: Pan Adjustment too stiff

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jarvis393 Contributing Member • Posts: 572
Manfrotto 410 Gearhead: Pan Adjustment too stiff

I have a two Manfrotto 410 gearheads.

I bought them both brand new and they have had extremely limited use.   All of the use has been in dustfree indoor settings.  One of them was purchased about a year ago for a tripod.  The second one was purchased a month or so ago to leave set up on a dedicated Magic Arm.

The first one I bought  tilts and rotates just fine in the top two axis but is extremely stiff at the pan head (closest adjustment to the top of tripod).  The stiffness almost renders the gearhead unusable.  You have to securely hold the tripod in place when you are trying to rotate it or you will unthread the gearhead altogether from the tripod.

The new 410 gearhead is perfectly smooth in all adjustments.  It's the comparison of the two heads that makes me think the first one is a lemon.

The only discernible difference between the two heads is the new one has a smoother base where it joins to the tripod and the older one has more of a pebble finish to it.  This base facet of the gearhead does not come into play with the rotating parts but does suggest some change in the manufacturing process.

DOES anybody know how to go about loosening the pan head so you don't have to threaten it each time you use it?  Can this be serviced by a user or does it need to go back to the factory?  Any suggestions how to make this more friendly?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow