M5 First Impressions

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
casey1823 Regular Member • Posts: 464
M5 First Impressions

I just took the plunge in to the mirrorless world! I've been a Canon shooter for years and I currently have the 7D Mark II and some quality lens. I shoot wildlife, sports, concert, and family portraits.

I also ride a motorcycle "a lot" and travel some. My problem always have been getting a camera I can put in my saddlebags that I can take good pictures with. I've tried a few several higher end point and shoot cameras but I just hate using these auto type cameras. Yes, you can get good photos in auto but I want to control what my camera does.

My sister has been testing a "few-many" mirrorless brands and then she started to look at the M5. It does not get as much love as some of the higher end brands. Well I didn't want to spend 1,700.00 on a second system and then have to purchase a bunch of lens.

This led me to the M5 kit (35-150). I was a little apprehensive about just how sharp could this small (relative cheap) lens be.

Well I went through the manual, watched some youtube videos and set the camera up the way I think I want it to work. I headed out to just take some test shots. I must say I'm impressed. It focus hunted a few times (very overcast and dull) but after I made a few changes it worked really well.

When I got home I imported them in to Lightroom I was really surprised at just how sharp out of the camera the pictures looked. I also did some unsientifiec test on the in body IS and was really impressed. I hand held some shot down to /10 of a second and they looked good.

I'm the last person that ever thought I'd buy one of those "mirrorless" little cameras. Well I'm now one of these guys and loving it. I'll never give up on my DLSR's but this camera is very nice, and I still can't believe how lite and small this thing is.

I hope to post some pictures once I have a chance to get out and take some more photos.

Casey

casey1823's gear list:casey1823's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EOS 40D +7 more
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow