Street Photography using GX9

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotoByRichard
PhotoByRichard Regular Member • Posts: 490
Street Photography using GX9

Just want to share a bit of experience using the GX9 as street photography camera.

When reviewing the GX9, I used it to do quite a bit of street photography. I tried it with a few lenses, the 42.5 f/1.2 Nocticron, the 25mm f/1.4...etc but in end I think my lens of choice is the PL 15mm f/1.7.

It's a compact-ish lens that fits the GX9's compact size perfectly (the Nocticron feels a bit too big). Picture quality is great and autofocus with the GX9 is fast and accurate. I quite often shoot at maximum aperture and leave the camera in face detection autofocus mode. I just need to point and shoot and the camera would acquire focus almost instantly and I rarely get any misfocus shots.

The smaller black body looks understate. I taped the Lumix logo and it looks super stealthy.

Tilt screen is great as 99% of my photos are shot in landscape orientation and it allows me to do some sneaky hip shot without being noticed.

The mechanical shutter is slightly louder than I prefer for street photography so sometimes I switch to electronic shutter when shooting on more quiet streets.

GX9's JPG is fantastic! Colours are beautiful and the new L Monochrome D and the grain effect are both very nice. I'm normally a RAW shooter but I find myself very happy with the JPGs straight out of camera and rarely want to play with the RAW files myself.

While the battery is the same small one as the GX85, I could do 1 hour photo walk with the camera on whole time and still have half battery after that. (That is with the Power Save LVF shooting disabled)

I do really hope the EVF is bigger. Even if it's not as big as the G9, the GX8 one would give me better shooting experience although won't make any difference to my photos.

Overall, i really enjoy shooting street photo using the GX9.

And here is a short video about me using the GX9 to do street photography.

All the photos in the video are unedited JPG straight out of camera.

PhotoByRichard's gear list:PhotoByRichard's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Panasonic G85 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow