M43rds-vs-Fuji-Xtrans

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ab Latchin Contributing Member • Posts: 713
M43rds-vs-Fuji-Xtrans

Carrying on with my gear headed bit of fun, and with the launch of a very compelling Fuji camera another wave of questions sweeps through the forum. I decided to have a quick look at the 24mp Xtans in the XT2 as it can be reasonably assumed it is a very similar sensor to this new camera.

Personally, one of the main issues I have with the Fuji system is the poor ACR support, as I have CC and it is my primary workflow, using any other software just isn't worth the time or learning curve. However the comparison did surprise me.

One of the areas it is always claimed to have a significant advantage is at high ISO, I was surprised to see this is basically the usual 1 stop, but possibly a little less.

Lets start at ISO 3200 for both, note that when exposure is dropped 5 stops, the EM1.2  was able to recover a significant amount more highlight detail (at least in ACR):

ISO 3200 for both the EM1.2 and XT2

Then I decided to have a look at the noise vs detail comparison. It seems that in good light there isn't much in it. These comparisons are at ISO 3200 again, as you can see the noise is similar. However the Fuji seems to have a better edge definition than the Olympus. This could be the sensor tech/res, lens, focussing etc. However it does seem the fuji is doing some edge sharpening, which is causing some odd halos and patterns.

It is obvious the Fuji is resolving the fine lines here better, but there is a distinct pattern in the man's jacket.

Considering the Fuji was resolving those lines quite well, when it comes to the shapes of type, the pattern is causing some aartifacts in the type.

Againa slight detail advantage to the fuji, however all the coins have an odd edge to them, almost a stepping

When we take the low-light sample, the fuji does seem to have an advantage when shadows are pushed. However when compared to iso 1600 it appears to be less than the expected stop.  However we start to see the odd colour smoothing the Xtrans files show in ACR here.

Here we have the Fuji at ISO 3200 and the Olympus at ISO 3200 with shadows pushed to 55 in ACR. The third window is Olympus at 1600.

Here the colour smoothing or averaging is even more obvious with blues turning purple, grey turning purple, brown warming considerably etc.

So it appears the Fuji sits roughly where one might expect it to with regards to sensor size.  However the DR question was very interesting, after seeing the EM1.2 have such a clear advantage I went to DXO to see if it bore out. However it seems they dont test the Xtrans sensor.

I have been shown that some of these issues can be resolved with Fuji's software, I am note sure the DR is one of them, if anyone can demonstrate the pulled highlight it would be very useful. However as mentioned that involves using a separate piece of software to process raws, and the learning curve that goes along with it.

Clearly Fuji is using some very clever edge sharpening for their files, however it does seem to create a number of artifacts on patterns, or curved edges.

I was mildly surprised that, for my usage the differences were not as high as is suggested often here.

It also has to be remembered, in the m43rds format, when you have purchased your lenses you can use them across a number of manufacturers with both video and still bodies with class leading features as well as 2 companies producing a slew of primes and zooms both large and small.

Just as a reminder, can anyone grab the ISO 3200 daylight shot from the fuji and reduce exposure to see if the DR issue is a software issue, or a hardware issue.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow