FZ300 telephoto blur due to attached filters

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
FZ300 telephoto blur due to attached filters

Hi all.

I have been using an FZ300 for a while now, and was running into intermittent issues with poorly focused, or entirely mis-focused, shots taken at telephoto ranges beyond about 640 mm EFL.  My assumption was it must just be a ‘user error’ problem.

After the latest batch of cruddy results I think I figured out the culprit.  I have had a C-PL filter permanently fitted, and removing it seemed to remedy the focusing issues.  I also tested using an ND filter, and the same issue occurs with this filter attached.  (It does not appear to matter how the C-PL is oriented, or what setting the ND filter was on.)

This seems odd behaviour.  The camera has a filter thread, so it is intended to be used with filters.  Does anybody know what could cause this?  Also, can you attach a filter of any type without running into this issue?

Thanks for any input.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow