What's the status of lenses from 2nd tier manufacturers vs Nikon

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martin Pollack Forum Member • Posts: 57
What's the status of lenses from 2nd tier manufacturers vs Nikon

I'm shooting with Nikon D300S and my walking around lens is an 18-200 VR 3.5-5.6.

I shoot in RAW  for landscape, wildlife and occasionally portrait but have a 50mm 1.4 for the latter.

I'm finding many of my photos when printed at size ( 16x20  or larger) are not quite sharp, some even slightly pixelated. So after traveling to some distant place to get some great photo ops, I wind up with not so great results in print.

My image sizes tend to be  25MB or much larger after editing and I had expected that would give me good prints easily at 16x20 but it's not the case at least half the time.  I read that my 12.1-megapixel camera may be the problem

So Is it the lens that needs an upgrade --perhaps to a fixed  f2.8 so at full zoom I don't lose so much, or is it more realistic to switch to a 20 or 24 megapixel camera body?? And if I go for the lens, say 50-200 -or 70-200 fixed 2.8, is the difference between Nikkor and other brands still meaningful and worth cost difference???

All my lenses are most suitable for DX  so i'm reluctant to toss all that investment for full frame and then have to go big expense on new lenses. And I do benefit at distance from the 1.5  correction. I lose alot on the side angle side though.

If the 12.1 megapixel is the central problem why spend for the much better lens?? If it's really all in the lens  will that help me  print at 16x20  and possibly larger despite the modest 12.1??

Strangely, I have friends that shoot iphone pics and have max 5MB size images and clearly not more than 12.1 mp and yet they have printed 16x20 with good results.

What is the most accurate interpretation of all this? and what is my best move?

Help please .

Marty

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow