For those that are looking for a travel camera

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brisn5757 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,102
For those that are looking for a travel camera

I spent a lot of time trying to find a suitable travel camera as I'm going overseas this year and wanted a camera that was small and light, had a view finder and a zoom of at least 10x.

I started to look at pocket sized cameras (good if you have a large shirt pocket or jacket pocket) such as the Panasonic TZ100 and TZ70, TZ90. I found that the photo quality varied and the view finder was low quality, especially for the TZ70 and TZ90. The TZ80 was similar to the TZ80 so I didn't check that out.  (these cameras have a ZS title in other countries).

I also checked the FZ1000 and liked the wide view finder and the 16x zoom but the camera was bigger and a bit heavier than what I wanted.

I checked the Sony HX90V pocket camera but it was similar to the TZ90 for view finder quality and photo quality.

I then moved on to the Sony RX100 IV and V cameras which had a limited 2.9x zoom but did take good quality photos.

I decided to include the Panasonic G7 and GX8 in my search. I like the feel of the G7 with the extra controls and it seemed like a easy camera to use.

Conclusion:
In the end I felt that one camera did not do everything I wanted so I brought the Panasonic G7 with 14-140mm lens then a short time later I brought the Sony RX100 IV camera (lucky for me prices were reduced at the end of the year).
The Sony offers low light photography, which is good for museums and it has a wide 24mm (FF) lens. For distant object shots I would use the Panasonic G7 with the 14-140mm (28-280 FF) lens. I plan on using the Sony camera for photos as it has good lens and the Panasonic camera for video recording and zooming into distant subjects. Even with many features similar in both cameras there are some features that only one of each camera has. While both cameras are good at taking photos the Panasonic seems better at video recording.

Brian

Brisn5757's gear list:Brisn5757's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 300D +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow