50mm f1.4 ART (especially on Canon)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Scott Dobry
OP Scott Dobry Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: 50mm f1.4 ART (especially on Canon)

realmadeira wrote:

Scott Dobry wrote:

Greetings, I'm a 5Div and 5Ds user potentially moving from the Canon 50mm f1.4 to either the Canon 50mm f1.2L or the Sigma 50mm f1.4 "ART". I've never owned a 3rd party lens before but I'm intrigued by the Sigma 50mm art lens despite it's massive size.

I was looking strongly at the Canon 1.2L but from what I've researched so far it seems it's mostly a sort-of "cult" lens. People after that extra .2 of a stop of bokeh. The results I've seen the bokeh is unique but overall the lens is way less sharp than the Sigma Art at all stops (maybe equal at f8).

But I'm also reading that the Sigma 50mm Art had / has issues with focusing problems / consistency. It's tack sharp when it's in focus. There are many reports of people having issues especially with back-lit situations.

So my question is, between firmware upgrades, employing that Sigma USB puck calibrator and in-camera micro-adjustment, how is this lens fairing in 2018 with regards to it's focus problems?

And if calibration works, can I calibrate to 2 camera bodies to it?

Thanks!

I bought into SIGMA ART hype and got myself 35/1.4 and 50/1.4. I used them on 5D III

I kept 35/1.4. There was some front focussing that I fixed with the dock, but off-centre focus points are misfocusing which could not be fixed with the dock

50/1.4 had severe front focussing out of the box (>20) at 1 meter. Focussing with off-center points was AWFUL. I returned it and used Canons 50/1.8 II instead, which is not stellar, but still gave me much better results in real shooting than Sigma

In general I prefer buying 2nd hand Canon lenses that so far gave no headache at all

Wow.   Not encouraging.  Perhaps it’s that lens copy.  Perhaps it’s the 5D3 or both. Who knows?  Doug PS has a good experience.  You did not.  Pretty much sums up what I reading elsewhere.

-- hide signature --

Scott Dobry
www.scottdobry.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow