Faster aperture and use digital zoom vs. longer optical zoom?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gonrak New Member • Posts: 5
Faster aperture and use digital zoom vs. longer optical zoom?

I have been looking at 1" sensor compacts and more specifically, the Panasonic ZS100. I like the reach it has, the EVF for bright light situations, AF speed and a few other features ...but I do not like the aperture and potential for soft images I have been reading about, especially low light performance. So I am rethinking.

I want something easy to carry and do not like post-processing. I am a casual user who wants sharp, clean, framed images out of the camera (I will rarely use RAW).

I am starting to think I may get better image quality if I go instead for a shorter zoom, faster lens (something like the Sony RX100 III with 24-70mm f/1.8-2.8) and create a setting for 2x digital for when I need some extra reach.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Used is fine. I want to keep EVF no matter what I get. A couple other niceties I prefer are tilt-screen and 4k video.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I already own a Canon G1X Mark 2.  I bought it used a little over a year ago, went on vacation with it, took about 10 shots and then the lens cover drive unit jammed up and it stopped working.  I could potentially send that out to to be fixed for about $150.  Not sure if its worth it at this point.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow