Will a $1800 A7III update be relevant compared to new X-H1?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,147
Will a $1800 A7III update be relevant compared to new X-H1?

So I've shot most system and currently own Sony and Canon but shot Fuji as my first mirrorless system so I always keep up with what they are doing.

Sure I will acknowledge the not yet announced A7III will be full-frame but it appears to lose in every other category to the new Fuji X-H1. The A7RIII looks like a camera that will only be sought after by existing Sony customer who already own full frame lenses.  The appeal always concerns me when you only canabalize your own existing customers and bring no new ones to your family. Kind of like how the Canon 5D Mark IV came into the market where customers like me who owned a 5D Mark III upgraded but very few new customers appeared to come into the fold.

It may take something special in an A6700 or A6900 to compete with it at the lower price point of the X-T2. This would be nice to see.

Given the cost difference of an A7RIII and the 24-70 GM lens is $2300 more than the X-H1 and the XF 16-55 f/2.8 most people would probably settle for APS-C if they don't already have a full frame setup with existing lenses. I have to admit I often consider pulling money out of my kit and go back to fuji. Maybe this will make reconsider it.  I'm not at all unhappy with my Sony systems except for the cost invested. That's all on me though not on Sony or anyone else.   Maybe now with the great performance my A7RIII and A9 I should just sell off the Canon gear finally. We will se.

Steve W

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +29 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7R III Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow