Shooting only jpegs with DR400

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AMSOS Regular Member • Posts: 391
Shooting only jpegs with DR400

Is there anyone here who mostly shoots jpegs (with RAW as backup) with the DR modes? And in what situations do you feel the need for exiting the DR modes? What do I lose if I just leave the camera on DR400 all the time?

As a hobbyist I am looking to minimise processing time, and also want to get it right in camera, hence I am interested in seeing if I can make do with jpegs only.

Landscapes are of course an obvious setting where I would use only ISO 200, but I wonder if for my other uses the DR modes and OOC jpegs may not suffice for my purposes?

For street which is about capturing that moment a bit of blown sky does not matter to me.

But portraits (high contrast or otherwise) ?

Architecture (Indoors and outdoors) ?

I guess if the only issue is the reduced DR/noise that comes from using ISO 800 instead of 200, then I don't mind it so much. Speaking of which, since DxOMark doesn't test Fuji can you point me to a reliable site that details the ISO-EV range of the X-E2s?

Also, am I correct in thinking that even if one uses the underexposed RAW from the DR400 mode, all one has to do is to push exposure by 2 stops and you get the same file you would if you used DR100?

Thanks!

AMSOS's gear list:AMSOS's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-E2S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E2S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow